Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mr. Case Manager

So this is me, Shelterwood Case Manager.  Sitting at my desk with new fancy eye glasses, a nice shirt to keep the brass happy but plenty of "Shack" attitude to bring uneasiness to the occasional complacency.  So what exactly is my role as CM? After all, my adventure at Shelterwood has been anything but predictable.  

First, there is the routine stuff.  I make sure the files of all our residents are up to state regulation,  I audit the medical records to ensure there no gaps and I keep the finances reconciled.  This usually involves frequent communication with counselors and parents and lots of time on the phone with doctors and insurance companies.  Exciting stuff, but someone has to do it.  

Second, there is the implied stuff.  As a former House Director, I support the current HD's with insight, mentoring, and administration.  We work in the same office and they don't really report to me but I try to provide a positive, calming, presence, when things go awry in the House.  The HD's are quite a bit younger than this old dog so I try and bring some life experience and even parental wisdom to the Shelterwood world.

Finally there are the extra's.  This probably takes half my time.  I have become the resident youth pastor organizing all the chapel services and leading worship.  I have become an unofficial counselor participating in our bi-weekly group therapy sessions.  As the worship leader at NCC I involve residents in the worship band.  I host a weekly guys night in my home with the young Shelterwood staff and still spend plenty of time taking kids to the Quick Trip for coffee or playing basketball on the outdoor courts.    

So there you have it, Shelterwood Case Manager.  A new position and title for Doulos but some not-so-new responsibilities.    



No comments: