Friday, February 20, 2009

Shelterwood and Beyond

Shelterwood....
We had an amazing chapel this week (you know, the one I told about below in my last blog).  Our Shelterwood Director, Brad, addressed free will and the question of "eternal damnation" and a "fallen world."  Tough subject but Brad was up to the challenge.  Next, our counseling director, Sheri, focused on "how can God love us even though we disappoint Him everyday."  Stellar job by Sheri.  I wrapped up the discussion with "can I be free" and "how do I accept God's love and forgiveness."  My answer?  Freedom comes through our brokenness.  Yeah.  We're all broken and the need for God and others (community) brings freedom through confession and openness.  The weight of "having it all together" is crushing and brings no freedom at all.  Chapel closed with four of our kids performing Details in the Fabric by Jason Mraz.  Amazing stuff.

And Beyond...
Next week is beyond week, which means community service and missions for all.  The regular schedule is suspended and staff, leadtime and residents will work together off property to serve others.  We have a group headed south to El Paso for mexican-american missions and a group is staying here in KC to serve locally.  I'll be local and will report next week on the events.

 

No comments: