Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Thin Place

A few times I have mentioned New Community Church and my role with the worship team but with few details.  I discovered NCC back in August shortly after our move to KC.  I started out playing a hand drum here and there and even played the drum set a few times after the church purchased a new kit.  But one thing led to another and I am now the worship director.  Crazy how God opens doors and works things out.  I am humbled to serve and blessed to be surrounded by authentic followers of Christ.  My good friend Jeremy is the pastor and together we share life, we share vision and many times we share something off the grill on my back deck.  Many of the young adults and residents of Shelterwood have found a home at NCC too.

But why do I worship?  Why do I play?  Sing?  Very simple.   In a Sunday message a few months back, Jeremy made reference to a "thin place."  A place where the gap between God and man; heaven and earth, feels just a little thinner.  Some have found this place in the stillness of a mountain hike or the calm of a stroll on the beach.  My "thin place" is in worship.  Yeah, I know God is everywhere and all that jazz but life is just too diverse and people too unique for everyplace to be the same for every person.  God has hard-wired me to worship.  My hope is to bring a thin moment to others every time I pick up my guitar or bang out a rhythm on the drum.  The real question is "Where is your 'thin place'?"  Find it and go there as often as you can.    

No comments: