Monday, January 19, 2009

The Shack

The Shack is an incredible novel written by William P. Young about one man's experience with God.  Although this blog is not about that Shack, I still recommend it to ALL my friends.  It will change your life.

Having the day off for MLK I was reflecting on my Shack experience.  Life changing.  It was a staff retreat in the Colorado mountains above Nederland following April 2008 parents weekend at Shelterwood.  It would be the last time we all gathered together before the group would begin to break up.  New jobs, careers, back to school for  some and Kansas City preparation for others.  The cabin was beautiful.  3 floors, probably 12+ bedrooms, multiple fireplaces, and all the rustic fixtures you would imagine in a place like that.    A group of us men found an old, very small and rundown wooden shack a short walk in the snow from the front side of the cabin.  No electricity, no floor or chairs.  Pretty much standing room only.  With only our headlamps for sight and down coats, beanies, and gloves for warmth we shared life.  I laughed until my eyes watered and ribs hurt.  I tried to hold back tears with burning eyes.  We hugged. We punched and at the same time felt the love and acceptance of each other.  God was present and no doubt God was pleased.

I miss the Shack.  I can't help but smile every time I see this picture.  I know that I can't go back but I can choose to value people and relationships.  I can love life and teach others to do the same.  I can love and accept others.  I can bring my experience to other men.  So, you see, the Shack lives on.





No comments: