Tuesday, November 3, 2009

2009 Fall Parent Weekend

 The 2009 Fall Parent Weekend concluded on Sunday afternoon and, as you can see, has me in a slight delay with my weekly Blog.  I am taking the week off from Shelterwood and I drove from Kansas City to Denver immediately following the dismissal of Sunday's parent weekend events.   My good friend Sean is getting married on Saturday and so I am spending the week reuniting with friends and family in the Denver area.  

About Parent Weekend, though, it had the usual running parts--you know, seminars, meetings, big meals, talent show,  share time--but it is the little things that stand out.  Things like working with the kids musically and watching their parents beam as they perform during chapel and talent night.  Things like a simple meal with mom's and dad's talking about life.  Life as a parent and life as a Believer.  As always it is was richly rewarding to see relationships, once filled with strain and loss of hope, find healing and growth.  It is rewarding to literally watch kids and parents laugh and embrace.  Sure, there are still the kids that want nothing to do with mom and dad, but we'll get there.  God is interested in the process.  It takes time to undo the mess we so often make of our lives and relationships.  If God can extend grace to my mess, I can certainly extend grace to the families of Shelterwood.  

No comments: