Sunday, August 30, 2009

Over The Hill

Today is August 30th, my 40th birthday.  I am officially on the "other side of the hill now" and I must say the view is not half bad.  Contrary to popular myth, I did not wake up this morning in need of a cane or adult training pants.  Didn't see any extra hair in my ears or nose.  Just another day.  That's not to say I haven't lost a step out on the basketball court or avoided crows feet around my eyes.  I am just enjoying the life I've been given.   My hope is that my spiritual growth will mirror that of my 40 year life journey.  A gradual process of learning and growing filled with gratitude and anticipation.  Sure, I can ask God to gift wrap the answer to all my needs and hand it to me on my spiritual birthday, but what fun would that be?  It would short-change me from the experience.  

It was a quiet week at Shelterwood.  All but two of the kids were home on post-summer break.  The new Leadtimers and most staff were in orientation and training all day.  It's a nice perk to avoid CPR, First Aid and Shelterwood policy training.  Important stuff but tough to endure.   Everything returns to normal on Monday, but then, what is normal at Shelterwood???  

No comments: