Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day

It's Memorial Day weekend and so many milestones have passed.  The kids all left for pre-summer break today.  It will be quiet around the ole' Wood for the next week.  Lots of hot pockets, frozen wings, and nuggets for those left behind.  The kitchen schedule goes into "break mode" and the prepared meals are temporarily gone.  Yesterday was the last chapel of the season.  Brought back a lot of memories because I remember the last chapel in Denver.  We will resume again at the end of August but lots will change by then.  A new Leadtime class.  Many new residents and probably even some turnover with staff.  I wrote a special song for the last chapel titled, "Ode to Chapel."  It was one of my typical Adam Sandler style songs with plenty of humor from life at the Wood.  It was a riot.

On a more somber note, one of our residents was pulled from the program today.  A guy who's been here for 17 months.  Always tough.  Honestly I think it will be good for him and the reasons are complicated.  It's times like these that I am reminded that I am entrusted by God to pour into the lives of these young people.  Could be a month...could be 17 months.  I give all I have because I never know how long it will be.  "Thanks God," for trusting me and "Thanks to my supporters for making this a reality.

No comments: