Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Playing Catch-up

At this point, it is safe to assume that winter is going to be mild in Kansas City. I keep waiting for a built-up winter blast but today it's 70-something with a high wind advisory. Crazy.

In my last blog I mentioned the upcoming Beyond Week and it was one of the best I have experienced. I missed Tuesday's activity due to a family arriving at Shelterwood but I caught the next two events with Hillcrest Thrift Store and Spofford Children's Home. The Hillcrest thrift store supports the ministry of a transitional program for struggling and previously homeless families. We had great time sorting through clothes, tagging and stocking the store. The staff was friendly and the boys had a blast. During our time at Spofford,
we worked outside raking leaves and cleaning up the playground for the children who reside in the program.

The senior leadership at Shelterwood recently completed a tour of similar residential programs to gain insight into best practices. They came back with renewed vision and excitement but with the realization of necessary change. The position of residential director was removed eliminating one layer of management. So what does that mean exactly? My boss was the residential director and I now report directly to the Shelterwood Director. I am thankful that God has given us vision and energy with our new leaders and I have grown accustom to change. It is a reminder that God is constant (the same yesterday, today, and forever) and I would be wise to acknowledge Him and lean not on my own understanding. Sound familiar?

Jena and I took the boys on a short vacation to the Great Wolf Lodge last week. The lodge is a rustic hotel near the Kansas Speedway with an indoor water park. The boys had a blast swimming for two days and Jena and I relaxed pool side over some great conversation. I learned about the organizational change at Shelterwood earlier in the week so the scheduled trip was timely for me personally.


No comments: