Monday, October 12, 2009

The Big Game

It was 30-something degrees yesterday in Kansas City and I was cold the entire time.  Wool socks, beanie, down coat, and still cold.  Justin and I showed up at Arrowhead Stadium at 8:15 am, 15 minutes before the gates opened and took our place in line behind all the other faithful fans waiting to get in.  The Dallas Cowboys were in town; the team I have faithfully cheered for since 1979.  No way was I going to I miss this event. We started tailgating at 8:30 am, as soon as they opened the gates.  Too early for burgers and hot dogs so we cooked breakfast burritos and discussed the ups and downs of the 2oo9 Cowboys including predictions of the upcoming Chiefs game starting at noon.  It would have created a little less anxiety if I had purchased tickets in advance, but we took our chances and bought tickets an hour before kickoff from a local.  Like I said, it was cold, it was loud,  it was raucous, and it was packed.  Never mind that Kansas City was 0-4 going in, they wanted to beat the Dallas Cowboys.  They were also motivated by the sea of blue, white and silver seen everywhere throughout the stands.  In the end, 4 quarters we're not enough for this circus.  The Cowboys and Chiefs went into overtime.  Not only that, each team had the ball twice in overtime before Tony Romo completed a 60-yard touchdown pass to Miles Austin to win the game 26-20.  I don't think I have ever hugged and hi-fived so many strangers before in my life.  I couldn't have asked for a more exciting game.  I guess Doulos news will have to wait one more week.  The buzz from yesterday's game is still on the front of my mind.


No comments: