Thursday, July 5, 2012

Celebrate Freedom

I trust you enjoyed the 4th of July holiday with your family and friends!  Jena and I spent the day with good Shelterwood friends grilling and enjoying the crazy noise that comes out of Jackson county every year to celebrate Independence.  It has been blazing hot in Missouri but fortunately for us the humidity has prevented the fires that have ravaged Colorado and allowed us to still enjoy fireworks.  For that we are thankful.  At the risk of sounding cheesy, I feel blessed to enjoy freedom and fellowship with with friends and family.

Speaking of freedom, during the Shelterwood mock trial a week ago, I filled the role of defendant.  I spent the previous 3 years as a juror but this year was different.  I was the "Big Bad Wolf" and on trial for the murder of Leon and Wilbur pig.  I faced the additional charge of mugging Red Riding Hood.  Many characters were involved and each had a story to tell.  Only the judge (Ms. Numerick) knew the whole truth.  It was a tense trial but my lawyers did an excellent job getting me acquitted of all charges.  I rewarded them both with a trip to the QT.  (In case you're wondering...I was actually innocent of the murders and guilty of the robbery).

Campus has been empty all week except for a few staff here and there.  The kids are off on annual summer trips.  The girls are in St. Louis and the boys are down at Point 11 Kanakuk camp.  The travels will conclude Friday and Saturday and residents will be on campus over the weekend before leaving for the second phase of travels next week.  Next week the boys will be traveling back to Branson and Rockin Z Ranch in Arkansas while the girls take their turn at Point 11.


No comments: