Thursday, September 8, 2011

Six Years ago...

Six years ago today, a long-haired 30-something year old guy arrived at Shelterwood to work with the boys. It was a Thursday afternoon and I arrived on property for my first shift to find an empty campus. The boys were off at the Westminster Recreation Center. Of course, they arrived shortly after and I received several stares as the "new guy." My 5 minutes of training consisted of an outdated Shelterwood Student Handbook which I folded in half and carried around in my back pocket for several weeks.

During those first few months I was still working full time at General Electric. I would finish my full time shift, stop by the house for a change of clothes and then drive over to Doulos for my part time night work in the Guys House. I will never forget those days. I have many fond memories of the boys and the big brothers.

As I reflect with smile, it is appropriate to recognize some friends and families who hold a special corner of my heart. Josh Emery- thanks for believing in me and giving me a chance. Corey Carver and Josiah Golojuah- my co-laborers in the Guys House. Long hours and good times together. Luis and Matt - my personal little brothers whom I will never forget. Dane and Jo Lewis - for your many prayers and support; for trusting me and never giving up on your son.

Six years later, Shelterwood life moves on with a new school year, a new class of big brothers, new leadership and new vision. Although I could never mention all the wonderful folks I have been blessed to share the Doulos experience with over the past 6 years, I am thankful. Tomorrow resumes the current chapter. Thanks for your continued prayers and support of Doulos Ministries!


No comments: