Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Much Needed Break

Last week Jena and I took the boys on much needed family vacation to Orlando, FL. We visited Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. It was amazing. None of us had been to Universal so it was a brand new experience. I could tell you all about the exciting rides and shows but the most important part was the break from the busyness of our normal life. Corey and Kaiden spent plenty of time in the hotel pool and Jena and I spent plenty of time relaxing in pool chairs. We did plenty of walking which I hope helped offset all the eating out required when you travel.

Parent Weekend has arrived again at Shelterwood. This time around we are splitting the girls and guys parent experience. April 7-10 will be Girls Parent Weekend and April 28-May 1 will be the Guys Parent Weekend. Of course, the first is to come in a few days. All the normal preparation and "fixins" have gone on this week. It will be interesting to observe the process and participate with less direct involvement, at least this time around.

I typically like to read new books when I travel so this time around I downloaded Facedown by Matt Redman onto my phone Kindle app (that's some fancy jargon for me). It was a short read and just enough to cover my flight from KC to Orlando. One of the concepts that stood out was sacrifice as it pertains to worship. When Abraham and Isaac journeyed to
the region of Moriah, Isaac pointed out "the fire and wood are here, but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?" With that thought in mind, Matt Redman points out that our worship services are set with musicians, words to the songs, instruments and sound; yet the question begs, "Where is the sacrifice?" Everything is in place but us. We are the sacrifice. May we not come empty handed to our worship experience.


No comments: