Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil





The city of Savannah, GA is filled with mystery, beauty, and plenty of deep secrets.  Jena and I first met in Savannah and I named my second daughter Savannah.  Of course, Jena was born and raised in this city of intrigue.  One of the many reasons I am intrigued by her.  Anyway, Midnight in the Garden of Good Evil is a novel written by John Berendt about a murder trial in the 1980's and the many characters that make Savannah what it is.   A motion picture followed the book in 1994 starring John Cusak and Kevin Spacey.  I have read the novel twice and seen the movie 4 or 5 times but on my recent Christmas visit to Savannah, I took a tour of all the spots.  The Chatham county courthouse, Bonaventure cemetery, Mercer House, Clary's, Oglethorpe Club, the Savannah River.  It was incredible.  My father-in-law--another native--showed me around and even knew some of the real characters from the book.  I probably need to place a disclaimer because the movie is rated 'R' and the book is not much different.  However, for someone like me who fell in love in Savannah....returns to Savannah once or twice a year....read the book....seen the movie....it was way cool.  

No comments: